2010-05-12

Art S.Buck Mannequins -Review




















The mannequins arrived yesterday and of course I HAD to test those. First of all: It's a mannequin so you can't expect them to be moveable like a contortionist. Really! Get the idea out of your head.

If you keep that in mind the mannequins are pretty cool. I bought both male and female because I need them for mag work and it's easier to take a pic of them and base the sketch on it than constructing the whole thing? I am lazy, right? But it's okay... If you get a call like "We need illustrations ... like.. .yesterday" you have an idea where you need to save time to get the rest done IN time.
The couple costs around 50 bucks -for me the price is okay but of course consider the price as worth thinking twice about buying it.














What is pretty cool is the male shoulder piece. You can switch it carefully into two different positions (front, back) depending on how you want him to look like (crouched or hero-pose ;) ). The only problem I see with the male mannequin is that his right arm is pretty uncooperative which means a lot of patience and smooth "goodaammit, moooveee!".




















One female test which shows what you can actually do with them. Pretty nice, eh? I like those a lot. What a pity I have to work on different things now >_<
If you have any questions about those lemme know. :)

11 comments:

Verena said...

cool. Solche lege ich mir auch irgendwann mal zu.

Angel said...

Very cool! What are they made of? Are they vinyl, hard plastic, resin? Is the head a different material like most pose able dolls or the same as the body?

trenchmaker said...

@Angel Body is hard plastic(full plastic so fairly heavy), the head as well, but with matte material whereas the body is more glossy/lustre from the surface.

Alkyoni said...

Uh, for some reason I cannot open your last post... Just thought you should know
:)
Plus, I'm curious about what happened in the end of the Zara-tale...

trenchmaker said...

@Alice it's on draft -i pushed the wrong button... wasn't meant to be public right now. Zara: The only news it that the lawyer goes through the documents. I pray it won't end bad (for me).

Guimi said...

Oh, they're great!
I always thought I needed at least one mannequin. But.. Isn't their head a bit too big?

trenchmaker said...

@Guimi yes the head is a bit too big but if yu keep that in mind and correct it, it shouldn't be a problem. For anime-like characters it might be just perfect ;)

Unknown said...

Those are way better then the ones I have, where did you buy them?

Anonymous said...

I ordered a pair today. The female went back ordered. Anyway, it has been a little time since you posted this- so an appropriate question is, do you still think they are a good investment? Of course, I should have asked the question before I bought them... jimspg.com

trenchmaker said...

@ Jim no, i'm still happy. I'll promised myself to do some basic more light & shadow studies and just for that they are perfect.
Regarding the poses I still use them and though you have to keep in mind to make the final poses a bit more "unstatic" it wasn't a waste of money.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for responding trenchmaker. I have since received my order and am happy with them. So much so, I ordered an extra pair(male and female) to give away in a contest.

If you're interested, I did put up an article where I look at a few manikins on the market. "Of Man & Manikin", it's on my page.

Anyway, thanks again.